This is a traditional Kerala dish prepared with green gram. Like kadala curry this also can be had with puttu. This can be made in a jiffy and tases well with puttu. You can also have it with rice and roti. This sunday I prepared this with puttu.
|Green Gram (Cherupayar)||– 1cup|
|Turmeric powder||– ½ tsp.|
|Water||– 1 ½ cups|
|Ginger||– 1 inch piece|
|Grated coconut||– ½ cup|
|Cumin seeds||– 1 tsp.|
|Chilly powder||– 1 tsp.|
|Coconut oil||– 2 tsp.|
|Mustard seeds||– 1 tsp.|
|Red chilly||– 1|
|Curry leaves||– 1 spring|
- Soak green gram for 8 hours in water.
- In a pressure cooker, heat a teaspoon of oil and add finely chopped onion.
- Cut ginger into small pieces or grate and add to this.
- When the onions turn transparent, add green gram with water, turmeric powder, chilly powder and salt and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add chopped curry leaves and dry red chilly. Pour it over the cooked green gram.
- Garnish with grated coconut.
- Serve hot with ‘Puttu’