Sambar is a popular south Indian recipe which is often served with cooked rice, idly, dosa and pongal. This post is for beginners who is just learning to make sambar in a easy way. Sambar is so healthy as lentils provide us proteins and vegetables with fiber.
|Toor dhal||– ½ cup|
|Cut vegetables||– 1 cup (Onion, drumsticks, lady’s finger, brinjal, tomato,etc.)|
|Tamarind||– small lemon sized ball|
|Or tamarind paste||– 2 tbsps.|
|Turmeric||– ¼ tsp.|
|Sambar powder||– 2 tsps.|
|Asafoetida||– a pinch|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Oil||– 2 tsps.|
|Mustard||– 1 tsp.|
|Ured dhal||– 1 tsp.|
|Gram dhal||– 1 tsp.|
|Curry leaves||– a handful|
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup of hot water and after 30 minutes, filter and keep.
- Soak toor dhal for half an hour.
- In a pressure cooker put the soaked dhal, cut vegetables , turmeric powder and 2 cups of water for 3 whistles.
- After removing the whistle, put sambar powder, asafoetida, tamarind and salt and boil for five minutes in medium flame.
- In another pan, put oil and add mustard.
- When it splutters, put the ured and gram dhal.
- When it turns golden put the curry leaves and switch off the stove.
- Now pour this over the sambar and your sambar is ready to be served.
Vazhaikkai Varuval or Raw Banana Fry | Hema's Kitchen
[…] as a curry for Sambar rice, Rasam rice or vathal kuzhambu […]
Avarekkai Curry Chettinad Style | Hema's Kitchen
[…] hot with rice and Sambar or […]
Tamilnadu Style Baby Potato Roast | Hema's Kitchen
[…] in low flame. We can keep this in the lunch box of the kids. Baby potato roast tastes well with sambar […]
Simple Recipes For Lockdown | Hema's Kitchen
[…] Sambar […]
Kaddu (Yellow Pumpkin) Ki Subzi | Hema's Kitchen
[…] south Indians add pumpkins in sambar or kootu. I heard this recipe from one of my friends. This recipe is very easy to make and it […]
Kadamba Sambar / Mixed Vegetable Sambar | Hema's Kitchen
[…] Easy Sambar […]