Pulikaichal is an authentic South Indian recipe made from tamarind. This is a mix which you can use to make Puliyodarai with rice. It tastes so good and you can keep it for long time. My mother used to make pulikaichal at home and keep. I learnt this recipe from her.
Pulikaichal / Puliyodharai Mix
- Tamarind – 1 big lemon size
- Or Tamarind paste – 2 to 3 tsp.
- Gingilly oil – 3 tbsp.
- Salt – to taste
- Mustard – 1 tsp.
- Red chillies – 12 to 15
- Asafoetida – ½ tsp.
- Ground nuts – 2 tbsp.
- or soaked brown channa – 2 tbsp.
- Curry leaves – a handful
- Soak tamarind in warm water.
- Take thick water out of it. Or use Tamarind paste.
- In a deep pan pour oil and make seasoning, with mustard and all other ingredients.
- Now add the thick tamarind water and salt to it.
- Keep the flame low and allow it to boil for more than 10 minutes. Stir now and then.
- When it becomes thick, remove from the fire and allow it to cool.
- After it comes to room temperature, you can store it in a bottle.
- You can keep this as it is for more than 10 days and if you keep it in the refrigerator, you can keep it for a month.
- Whenever you need puliyodharai mix this with hot rice and serve.
- Enjoy this dish with fried vathal or applam or with avial.