Araichu vitta sambar is a traditional tamilnadu sambar with ground ingredients. The roasting and grinding adds flavour to this sambar and it tastes so good. In this recipe, I have changed a little bit. My mother used to make this on festival days and special days.
|Toor dhal||– 1 cup|
|Small onions||– 1 cup|
|Tamarind||– small lemon sized|
|Sambar powder||– 3 tsp.|
|Asafoetida||– ½ tsp.|
|Salt||– as needed or 2 tsp.|
|Coriander leaves||– a handful (Optional)|
|Grated coconut||– ½ cup|
|Red chillies||– 2|
|Channa dhal||– 2 tsp.|
|Dhania||– 2 tsp.|
|Black pepper||– 1 tsp.|
|Cumin seeds||– 1 tsp.|
|Oil||– 2 tsps.|
|Mustard||– 1 tsp.|
|Ured dhal||– 1 tsp.|
|Curry leaves||– a handful|
- Roast the ingredients given for grinding to a reddish colour with 1 tsp. of oil and grind to a fine paste.
- Cook toor dhal in pressure cooker with turmeric and 1 tsp. of oil.
- In a pan, add oil and season with the seasonings.
- Add finely cut onions and saute till it turns transparent.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and cook until it turns mushy.
- Now add dhal, tamarind juice, sambar powder, ground masala and asafoetida and boil.
- Keep in low flame and boil for 10 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and add coriander leaves.