Adai is a dish of Tamilnadu. It is made of rice and mixed lentils. The batter is thicker than dosa batter and it is poured thick. There is no need of fermentation. At my mother’s place we used to have it with jaggery. But it is good even with coconut chutney.
|Rice||– 2 cups|
|Channa dhal||– 1/3 cup|
|Ured dhal||– 1/3 cup|
|Toor dal||– 1/3 cup|
|Red chilly||– 4 to 6|
|Asafoetida powder||– ¼ tsp|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Oil||– to make adai|
- Soak all ingredients in one bowl for 3 hours
- Add 4 to 6 Red chilies and grind to coarse rava consistency.
- Add salt and asafoetida powder and mix well.
- Pour like thick dosa with the batter.
- Make a small hole in the middle and put 1 tsp. of oil in the middle and 1 tsp. around.
- We call it as adai.
- Serve with coconut chutney or avial or jaggery.
- For crispy adai add more channa dal
- If you want soft adai add more Udad dal and if you want golden colour adai add more Toor dal
- Prepare adai by using coconut oil and that will increase the taste of the adai.
- If you want you can add fresh grated coconut and also grated ginger in the dough.
- Only when you put a hole in the middle, the middle part also will be cooked properly.
- You can also add finely cut onions to adai to make tasty adai.