Ven pongal is the tastiest, easiest and simplest breakfast. It is a traditional breakfast of Tamilnadu. Moong dhal helps to keep the body cool and ginger and cumin makes it easy to digest. It can be taken with coconut chutney, sambar or even any kuzhambu.
|Raw rice||– 1 cup|
|Moong dhal (Pasi paruppu)||– ½ cup|
|Water||– 4 cups|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Ginger||– 1 inch piece (cut finely)|
|Oil or ghee||– 4 tsps.|
|Cumin seeds||– 1 tsp.|
|Whole pepper||– 1 tsp.|
|Cashew Nuts||– 2 tsps.|
- In a cooker, dry roast the dhal till you get nice aroma.
- Now wash the dhal with rice together and add water.
- Soak for half an hour.
- Add cut ginger and salt to this.
- In a pan heat ghee and fry cashew nuts till golden and keep aside.
- In the same oil, add cumin and pepper and fry for half a minute and add to the cooker.
- Close the lid of the cooker and cook for 3 whistles.
- When cooled open the lid and add the fried cashew nuts.
- Ven pongal can be served with coconut chutney.
- Do not fry cumin seeds for a long time. Otherwise it will taste bitter.