As today is tamil new year, I am posting a special recipe – Mangai Pachadi. Mangai pachadi is also served in marriages. Some of them add neem flowers to it, to get 6 tastes (arusuvai) in it (Innipu, uppu, pullippu, kasappu, urrapu and thuvarpppu). This dish signifies life is a mixture of all emotions and we must treat them equally.
|Raw mango||– 1 medium|
|Green chillies||– 3 to 4|
|Grated jaggery||– ½ cup|
|Oil||– 1 tsp|
|Mustard seeds||– ½ tsp.|
|Salt||– a pinch|
- Wash, peel and cut the mango into medium pieces.
- Cook the mango pieces in little water till it is soft.
- In a pan pour oil season with mustard seeds.
- Add chopped green chillies and cooked mango and cook for a minute.
- If you want, add some water and add grated jaggery, salt and mix well.
- Bring it to a boil. Remove from the fire and serve.
- If neem flowers are available add ½ tsp. of them.