Javvarisi vadam is the most famous vadam in our place. It looks like beads and children like this vadam very much. My mother used to make this at home in summer. It is so crispy and tasty. This summer I made this vadam at home and it came out well. There are many variations to this. We can grind the whole sabudana also and make this.
|Javvarisi (Sabudhana)||– ½ Kg.|
|Green Chillies||– 5 to 6 (or according to taste)|
|Asafetida powder||– ¼ tsp.|
|Salt||– 1 ½ tsp. or as needed|
|Lemon||– 1 big|
|Water||– 8 to 10 cups|
- Soak Sabudhana whole night.
- In the morning, grind green chillies to a coarse paste.
- Take water in a big vessel.
- Add chilli paste, asafoetida powder and salt and heat.
- When it boils, add soaked sabudana and mix well.
- Cook till sabudana becomes transparent. Till that time keep on stirring. Otherwise it will stick to the bottom.
- It should be watery so that when it cools down it will be thick.
- Remove from the fire.
- After 1 hour mix juice from 1 lemon.
- Let it cool down.
- In the plastic sheet, pour the flour with a small spoon and make like a small round shape.
- Next day turn them and dry them again.
- Dry till it dries completely.
- Store the dried sabudhana vadam in an airtight container.
- When pouring the vadam in plastic sheet, it should not be too hot. Otherwise vadam will become red when pouring.
- We can add carrot juice , beetroot juice or mint (pudina) juice to the vadam when making to get different coloured vadams. This will be natural instead of adding artificial colours.
- You should fry the vadams in medium heat.