In this season when tomatoes are very cheap, we can buy tomatoes an make this pickle. This pickle comes in handy, when there is no side dish for idly and dosa and even upma. This goes well with curd rice also.
|Well ripe tomatoes||– 12|
|Chilli powder||– 4 tsp.|
|Salt||– 4 tsp.|
|Gingilly oil||– 1 laddle|
|Tamarind||– ¼ cup|
|Mustard||– 2 tsps.|
|Jeera powder||– 2 tsps.|
|Fenugreek powder||– ½ tsp.|
|Asafoetida||– ¼ tsp.|
|Curry leaves||– a handful|
- Wash tomatoes and wipe and dry till no water is there in tomatoes.
- Cut the tomatoes into 8 pieces and keep.
- In a Kadai, heat oil and splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves.
- Add the tomato pieces and add salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder and jeera powder.
- Add tamarind water.
- Cook in low flame till there is no water and oil separates.
- Switch off the stove and add asafoetida and fenugreek powder.
- Cool and keep in sterilized bottles.