The Banana tree is a very rare plant where every part is useful. The stem is rich in fiber and helps in weight loss. It also helps prevent high blood pressure, and maintain fluid balance within the body. It is said to be a diuretic and helps detoxify the body. It is used prevent and treat kidney stones.The stem is cooked in various ways in South Indian cuisine and I am going to give one of the recipes.
|Plantain Stem||– 1|
|Moong dhal||– ½ cup|
|Green chillies||– 1|
|Milk||– ¼ cup|
|Turmeric powder||– ¼ tsp.|
|Jeera (Cumin) Powder||– 1 tsp.|
|Oil||– 1 tsp.|
|Mustard||– 1 tsp.|
- Cut and clean the plantain stem into small pieces.
- In a pressure cooker, cook the plantain stem along with dhal, turmeric powder and green chillies.
- In a pan, heat oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add the cooked plantain stem, milk, salt and cumin powder.
- Boil in low flame till it becomes thick.
- Serve as a side dish for rice.