Rasam is an integral part of south indian lunch. My mother used to make different variety of rasams daily. Whenever I see rasam, I always like to have it. Now I am posting rasam made with dhal and rasam powder which I have posted in Powder varieties.
- Toor dhal – ¼ cup
- Tomato – 2
- Tamarind – small lemon sized
- or Tamarind paste – 2 tsp.
- Rasam powder – 2 tsp.
- Dhania coriander leaves – a handful
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp.
- Asafetida – ¼ tsp.
- Salt – as needed
- Ghee or oil – 2 tsp.
- Mustard – 1 tsp.
- Soak tamarind in hot water and take tamarind juice.
- Cut tomatoes into small pieces.
- Cook toor dhal with enough water and turmeric powder.
- In a pan, heat ghee and splutter mustard.
- Add tomatoes and fry till it turns mushy.
- Add the tamarind juice and cook till raw smell goes.
- Now add cooked dhal with 2 cups of water, rasam powder, salt and asafetida and boil.
- Switch off the stove and garnish with dhania leaves.