Paruppu Rasam is a flavorful and comforting South Indian soup made with tamarind, tomato, and a blend of aromatic spices. It is a staple in many South Indian households and is commonly served with steamed rice and a side dish. Paruppu Rasam is not only delicious but also easy to make, and it provides a plethora of health benefits.
The ingredients used to prepare Paruppu Rasam are simple and easily available. The main ingredient is toor dal (pigeon peas), which is cooked until soft and mashed to form a thick paste. Tamarind pulp, tomatoes, and a blend of spices such as cumin, coriander, pepper, and red chili are added to the dal and simmered until the flavors blend together to create a flavorful soup.
Paruppu Rasam is rich in nutrients and has several health benefits. The tamarind used in the recipe is a rich source of antioxidants and helps in digestion. Toor dal is a good source of protein, and the spices used in the recipe are known to have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Toor dhal – ¼ cup
- Tomato – 2
- Tamarind – small lemon sized
- or Tamarind paste – 2 tsp.
- Rasam powder – 2 tsp.
- Dhania coriander leaves – a handful
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp.
- Asafetida – ¼ tsp.
- Salt – as needed
- Ghee or oil – 2 tsp.
- Mustard – 1 tsp.
- Soak tamarind in hot water and take tamarind juice.
- Cut tomatoes into small pieces.
- Cook toor dhal with enough water and turmeric powder.
- In a pan, heat ghee and splutter mustard.
- Add tomatoes and fry till it turns mushy.
- Add the tamarind juice and cook till raw smell goes.
- Now add cooked dhal with 2 cups of water, rasam powder, salt and asafetida and boil.
- Switch off the stove and garnish with dhania leaves.
South Indian Lemon Rasam | Hema's Kitchen
[…] used to make different types of rasam like Mysore rasam, pathiya rasam, kollu rasam, milagu rasam, paruppu rasam,etc. Lemon rasam is also a type of rasam my mother makes. In this raasam, we add lemon juice […]
Simple Recipes For Lockdown | Hema's Kitchen
[…] Paruppu Rasam […]
Mysore Rasam | Hema's Kitchen
[…] Rasam is one of the recipes which I learnt from my friend. The spices in it and coconut added gives an […]