Summer time is the best time to make and store vadams and we can use it for the whole year. My mother used to make lot of vadams and we used to help her in keeping them in the sun.
I learnt this recipe from a maami staying near my house and I am making this for the past two years. Everyone likes this vadam at home, especially my son.
|Rice flour||– 1 cup (heaped)|
|Onion||– ½ cup (cut into fine pieces)|
|Green chillies||– 2|
|Water||– 2 cups|
|Asafoetida||– a pinch|
|Salt||– 1 tsp. or as needed|
|Medium sized lemon||– 1|
- Grind green chilies in a mixer to a coarse paste.
- Take 2 cups of water and boil it in a broad vessel.
- Add the chilli paste, cut onions, asafetida and salt.
- When the water boils, switch off the stove.
- Add the rice flour and mix well without forming lumps.
- Close and keep this for half an hour.
- Now add lemon juice and mix well once more.
- Take a plastic sheet and spread it in an area where you get hot sun and keep stones at he ends.
- By taking some portion of this mix between your palm and fingers, keep small portion of it in the sheet, leave some space and keep some more.
- Like this you can repeat till the flour gets over.
- In the evening, bring it back to home and keep opened.
- Let it dry for 2 to 3 days.
- Now you can fry this in oil and have with rice.
- You can have this as it is also.