Puttu is a traditional Kerala breakfast which is made of rice and coconut steamed in a long kuzhal or tube like thing. It is a healthy and nutritious dish that is easy to make and can be enjoyed with a variety of sides such as banana, sugar, chickpea curry, or coconut chutney. Puttu is a popular dish in Kerala.
Puttu is a healthy and nutritious dish that has several health benefits. Rice flour is a good source of carbohydrates, protein, and fiber, while coconut is rich in healthy fats, fiber, and vitamins. Together, they provide a balanced and nutritious meal that can help to improve digestion, boost energy levels, and promote overall health.
- Puttu podi - 1 cup
- Water - ½ cup or as required
- Salt - as required
- Grated coconut - ½ cup
- Take the puttu podi and salt in a big vessel.
- Add water little by little and mix together till it is crumbly.
- Keep aside for about 10 mins.
- Take the mixture in the hand and make a ball. It should be able to hold that shape and when you break it should be crumble nicely.
- There should not be any lumps in the mixture, if so then break the lumps with hands.
- Take a Puttu maker or puttu kudam and fill the half of the kudam with water and boil.
- Insert the perforated disc to the kuzha.
- Now first put 2 tbsp. of grated coconut, then put about 4 tbsp. of puttu maavu then coconut and puttu maavu alternatively and coconut on top and close the lid.
- Steam this by placing on puttu kudam for about 7 to 8 mins.
- You can see high steam coming out of the puttu lid after 2 to 3 mins.
- Then remove the puttu and serve with kadala curry.