Kanjeevaram idli is a spiced idli from Kanchipuram usually steamed in “Donnai” or Lotus Leaf Cups. It is served as prasadam at the Varadarajar Perumal temple. I steamed it in large idli plates.
|Raw rice||– 2 cups (heaped)|
|Ured dhal||– 2 cups (levelled)|
|Black pepper||– 2 tsps.|
|Cumin seeds||– 2 tsps.|
|Fresh thick curd||– 1 cup (Optional)|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Oil||– as needed|
- Soak dhal and rice together for 3 hours.
- Grind till coarse rawa consistency.
- Allow to ferment till next day.
- In a pan add oil and add cumin and pepper and pour in the batter.
- Grease big idli plates and pour batter till ¾th of the plate.
- Steam till it is cooked well.
- Remove the plate and cut and serve with coconut chutney.