Kerala kadala curry is a spicy and flavourful dish that hails from the southern Indian state of Kerala. Made with black chickpeas (white or brown channa) cooked in a creamy coconut-based sauce with a blend of aromatic spices, this dish is a staple in every Kerala household.
The curry gets its heat from a mix of spices such as cumin, black pepper, ginger and red chilli powder. The spices are first tempered in coconut oil to release their aroma and flavour before being added to the curry.
Kerala Kadala Curry: A Spicy and Delicious Vegetarian Delight
- Kabuli channa or brown channa – 2 cups
- Big onion – 2
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
- Black pepper – 1 tsp.
- Chilli powder – 2 tsp. heaped
- Dhania powder – 2 tsp. heaped
- Ginger – 1 inch piece cut finely
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Curry leaves – a handful
- Coconut oil – 2 tsps.
- Mustard – 1 tsp.
- Ured dhal – 1 tsp.
- Coconut – 2 tsps. finely cut
- Wash and soak channa in enough water for 8 hours.
- Pressure cook channa for three whistles.
- Cut onions into long pieces.
- Heat a kadai and fry all the ingredients other than channa in medium flame till the coconut turns reddish brown and you get a nice aroma.
- Switch off the stove and let it cool.
- Now put this in a mixie and grind to a smooth paste by adding enough water.
- Add the ground mixture to the cooked channa with required salt and boil till the gravy thickens.
- In another small pan, heat oil and add mustard, ured dhal and coconut pieces and sauté till it turns golden brown and pour over the channa.