Kathirikai or brinjal or eggplant,is a very low calorie vegetable and fats. It helps maintain of hair, skin, nails. It tastes so awesome and this is how we make it.
|Small Brinjals||– 10 to12|
|Tamarind||– lemon sized lump|
For Masala powder
|Channa dal/bengal gram||– 2 tbsp.|
|Coriander seeds/Dhania||– 3 tbsp.|
|Urad dal||– 1½ tbsp.|
|Red chillies||– 10 to12|
|Coconut||– 2 tbsp.|
|Mustard seeds||– 1 tsp.|
|Fenugreek||– ½ tsp.|
|Asafoetida / hing||– a pinch|
|Curry leaves||– a handful|
|Oil||– 4½ tbsp.|
|Salt||– as needed|
- Soak tamarind in about 4 cups of hot water for 30 minutes.
- Extract tamarind juice and discard its pulp.
- Heat a tsp. of oil in a kadai and fry the ingredients mentioned under spice powder adding coconut at the end.
- Powder it coarsely in a mixie and keep aside.
- Wash brinjals, discard the stem and cut into plus shape.
- Now stuff the brinjals with the masala powder we prepared and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan, add mustard seeds, when they splutter, add fenugreek seeds, hing and curry leaves.
- Add onion cut into fine pieces and fry till transparent.
- Now add tomatoes cut into fine pieces and cook till it becomes mushy.
- Then add the stuffed brinjals,turmeric powder and salt. Cook on low flames stirring in between.
- When brinjals are half cooked, add tamarind extract, the remaining masala powder if any and salt if needed ( as we have added some for the brinjals).
- Cook till the gravy thickens slightly and oil floats on the top.
- Ennai kathirikai Kulambu is ready to be served with hot steamed rice.