Dosa is an iconic and beloved dish from South India that has captured the hearts of many. This thin and crispy crepe is made from a fermented batter of rice and urad dal. Dosa is a versatile dish that is a good breakfast option.
The preparation of dosa requires soaking rice and urad dal for several hours, followed by grinding them together with water to create a smooth batter. The batter is then left to ferment overnight or for several hours, giving it a tangy flavor. To cook, the fermented batter is thinly spread on a hot griddle or tawa and cooked until crispy and golden brown. It is traditionally served with a variety of accompaniments, such as coconut chutney, sambar (a lentil and vegetable stew), and tomato chutney.
Dosa is not only delicious but also nutritious. The fermentation process enhances the bioavailability of nutrients, making it easier for the body to absorb essential vitamins and minerals. Additionally, the combination of rice and urad dal provides a complete source of protein and carbohydrates, making it a filling and satisfying meal.
Dosa comes in many variations, each with its unique flavor and texture. Masala dosa is a popular version of dosa that is stuffed with a spicy potato filling. Rava dosa is made from a batter that includes semolina and is known for its crispy texture. Mysore dosa is a spicy version of dosa that is smeared with a spicy red chutney made from red chilies, garlic, and spices.
Dosa / Kal Dosa
- Raw rice or Dosa rice – 3 cups heaped
- Ured dhal white – 1 cup heaped
- Salt – as needed
- Oil – for making dosas
- Wash and soak rice and dhal together for 3 hours.
- Put them in a grinder or mixie and grind well to very smooth consistency.
- Put salt and add more water to the required consistency and mix well.
- Keep it in a large vessel with more space above it so that the flour will rise above and close with a lid.
- Let it ferment for about 12 to 15 hours.
- Take a dosa pan and pour dosa using a laddle and spread in a circle and put 1 tsp. Of oil.
- After one minute turn around and pour 1 tsp. Of oil.
- Now remove and serve hot with coconut chutney.