Bisi Bele Bhath is a traditional dish from the southern Indian state of Karnataka. This dish is a hearty and flavorful rice-based meal that is made with lentils, vegetables, and a unique spice blend. Bisi Bele Bhath is a popular dish that is enjoyed by people of all ages, and it is often served during special occasions, festivals, and weddings. This is a traditional rice and lentil dish of Karnataka with a variety of spices. It is served with pappad or boondi or mixture. It tastes so good so that you cannot go without eating it. And it can be made very fast.
The history of Bisi Bele Bhath can be traced back to the 16th century when the Vijayanagara Empire ruled over southern India. During this time, the kings and queens of the empire were known for their love of food, and they encouraged the development of new culinary creations. It is believed that Bisi Bele Bhath was created during this period as a one-pot meal that could be easily prepared and served to the royal family and their guests.
Bisi Bele Bhath
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Toor dhal – ½ cup
- Potato – 2
- Green peas – ¼ cup
- Carrot – 1
- Tamarind – lemon sized
- Small onions – ½ cup
- Salt – as needed
- Oil or Ghee – 3 tbsp.
- Cashew nuts – 2 tbsp. optional
- You can use any vegetables of your choice.
For Masala Powder:
- Red chillies – 10
- Dhania seeds – 1½ tsp.
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp.
- Ured dhal – ½ tsp.
- Channa dhal – 1 tbsp.
- Khuskhus – 1 tbsp.
- Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
- Cloves – 2
- Dessicated coconut – 1½ tbsp.
- Fry the above ingredients in ½ tsp. of oil and finally add desiccated coconut and fry for 1 minute and grind to fine powder along with tamarind.
- Soak rice and dhal together with 6 cups of water for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the cut vegetables and fry well.
- Now add the soaked rice and dhal mixture, and salt. and mix well.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Open the cooker and add tamarind water and ground powder and mix well and cook for some more minutes.
- Fry cashews in oil and pour on top of it.
- Serve hot.