This is a traditional rice and lentil dish of Karnataka with a variety of spices. It is served with pappad or boondi or mixture. It tastes so good so that you cannot go without eating it. And it can be made very fast.
|Raw rice||– 1 cup|
|Toor dhal||– ½ cup|
|Green peas||– ¼ cup|
|Tamarind||– lemon sized|
|Small onions||– ½ cup|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Oil or Ghee||– 3 tbsp.|
|Cashew nuts||– 2 tbsp. (optional)|
|(You can use any vegetables of your choice.)|
For Masala Powder:
|Red chillies||– 10|
|Dhania seeds||– 1½ tsp.|
|Fenugreek seeds||– ¼ tsp.|
|Ured dhal||– ½ tsp.|
|Channa dhal||– 1 tbsp.|
|Khuskhus||– 1 tbsp.|
|Cinnamon||– 1 inch piece|
|Dessicated coconut||– 1½ tbsp.|
|(Fry the above ingredients in ½ tsp. of oil and finally add desiccated coconut and fry for 1 minute and grind to fine powder along with tamarind.)|
- Soak rice and dhal together with 6 cups of water for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the cut vegetables and fry well.
- Now add the soaked rice and dhal mixture, tamrind water and the ground powder and mix well.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Remove the weight and fry cashews in oil and pour on top of it.
- Serve hot.