My mother used to make variety of jams at home. She used to make mixed fruit jam, banana jam , plums jam and even pears jam. When she came to my place in Bangalore, I learnt some of them from her. My son loved this jam well and he used to eat a lot. For this recipe, over ripe bananas are required. We can make this with even left over ripe bananas. You can eat this as halwa or you can spread this in bread and have it.
Banana Jam / Banana Halwa
- Well ripe bananas – 6 big variety preferably Nenthiram
- Grated Jaggery – 2 cups
- Ghee – ¼ cup
- Grind the bananas in a mixer to a smooth paste and keep aside.
- In a vessel, take the jaggery and 1cup of water and boil till the jaggery mixes well with water.
- Filter and keep aside.
- In a thick bottomed pan, pour the ghee and heat it.
- Now add the mashed banana and stir for 2 minutes without leaving.
- Now slowly add the jaggery syrup and go on stirring.
- Do not stop stirring as the halwa will stick to the vessel.
- When it does not stick to the vessel and comes round, switch off the stove.
- Banana jam or Halwa is ready.