Banana halwa is a traditional Indian dessert that is made from mashed ripe bananas, sugar or jaggery, ghee, and flavored with cardamom and nuts. It is a popular sweet dish in many parts of India, especially in the southern states of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, and Kerala. Banana halwa is a soft and smooth dessert that melts in your mouth, making it a favorite among people of all ages.
The preparation of banana halwa involves mashing ripe bananas and cooking them with sugar or jaggery and ghee until the mixture thickens and forms a soft and smooth consistency. The addition of cardamom and nuts enhances the flavor and texture, making it a delicious dessert. Banana halwa is often served as a dessert after a meal, or as a snack with tea or coffee. it can also be had as jam.
Bananas are a rich source of fiber, potassium, and vitamins B6 and C, and the addition of ghee and nuts in banana halwa makes it a nutritious dessert. Ghee is a type of clarified butter that is rich in vitamins A, D, and E, and provides a good source of energy. Nuts like cashews and almonds provide essential nutrients like protein, healthy fats, and minerals like magnesium and phosphorus.
Banana Jam / Banana Halwa
- Well ripe bananas – 6 big variety preferably Nenthiram
- Grated Jaggery – 2 cups
- Ghee – ¼ cup
- Grind the bananas in a mixer to a smooth paste and keep aside.
- In a vessel, take the jaggery and 1cup of water and boil till the jaggery mixes well with water.
- Filter and keep aside.
- In a thick bottomed pan, pour the ghee and heat it.
- Now add the mashed banana and stir for 2 minutes without leaving.
- Now slowly add the jaggery syrup and go on stirring.
- Do not stop stirring as the halwa will stick to the vessel.
- When it does not stick to the vessel and comes round, switch off the stove.
- Banana jam or Halwa is ready.