Happy Ganesha Chaturthi to all. We make lots of kozhukkattai varieties as neivethyam for Lord Ganesha. One such kozhukkattai we make at our home is ulundu kozhukkattai which is prepared with ured dhal. Ured dhal is ground along with chillies and salt and then steamed , then crumbled to make this kozhukkattai.
I have already given the method for making kozhukkattai flour in my blog.
|Ured dhal||–||½ cup|
|Salt||–||as needed or ½ tsp.|
|Mustard seeds||–||½ tsp.|
- Soak ured dhal in enough water with red chillies.
- In a mixer grind to a coarse paste and add salt and mix well.
- Take a vessel and grease with gingelly oil and add this paste and steam in a pressure cooker or you can steam this in an idly cooker.
- Remove the vessel and let it cool down.
- In the meantime, make kozhukkattai flour for stuffing the pooranam.
- Now crumble the ured dhal well.
- In a pan heat oil and add mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When the mustard seeds splutter add the crumbled ured dhal and mix well and cook in low flame till the mixture becomes dry.
- Remove and cool down.
- Now make kozhukkattai choppu from the prepared flour.
- Knead the rice flour well and take small balls.
- Flatten the balls by pressing from outside. Take gingelly oil in hands and then flatten the flour. Otherwise the flour will stick to your hands. The middle part should be little thick.
- Now take little stuffing and keep inside and close gently the sides with your hands.
- In the same way prepare all the kozhukkattai and stem them in greased plates for 10 minutes.
- Remove form flame and let it cool down.
- Now you have the salt kozhukkattai ready.