We make variety of snacks at home. There are different types of murukkus we make at home. Thenkuzhal is a type of murukku which my mother used to make. my mother used to make different savory like murukku, thenkuzhal and omapodi and store for the week. Thenkuzhal is crispy and tasty.
I am sharing the recipe of my mother’s recipe of thenkuzhal.
|Rice Flour||–||2 cups|
|Urad Dhal||–||½ cup|
|Cumin Seeds||–||1 tsp.|
|Salt||–||1 tsp. or as needed|
|Oil||–||for deep frying|
- Dry roast urad dhal in in a pan till it becomes just hot.
- When it cools down, grind to a smooth powder in a mixer.
- In a bowl, take rice flour, urad dhal flour, asafoetida, salt and cumin seeds and mix well.
- Heat ghee in a frying pan and add this to the flour and mix well.
- Now slowly add water and mix well to form a thick and firm dough.
- In a pan heat oil for deep frying thenkuzhal.
- Wash and clean, thenkuzhal press and insert the thenkuzhal disc and apply oil inside.
- Take some dough and insert into the press and hold thee press over the oil and press thenkuzhal in oil in a circular motion.
- When one side is cooked well turn the thenkuzhal and cook the other side also.
- When the hissing noise stops, remove from fire and drain in a colander.
- Store in an airtight container when cooled.
- Do not keep the dough for a long time as the thenkuzhal will turn red.