Besan Cheela is a simple North Indian dish which is eaten with cutney or just tea or coffee. This is a protein rich breakfast recipe which looks like dosa. Besan cheela is easy to make and is made with gram flour and some spices and herbs. I have added chopped onions and tomatoes in besan cheela. You can also add other vegetables of your choice.
You can also make this for a quick evening snack. You can serve besan cheela with coriander chutney or tomato chutney.
|Gram Flour||–||1 cup|
|Onion||–||¼ cup (chopped finely)|
|Tomato||–||¼ cup (chopped finely)|
|Coriander Leaves||–||¼ cup (chopped finely)|
|Ginger||–||½ inch (chopped finely)|
|Green Chillies||–||1 (chopped finely)|
|Carom Seeds / ajwain / omam||–||½ tsp.|
|Turmeric Powder||–||¼ tsp.|
|Red Chilli Powder||–||¼ tsp.|
|Water||–||½ cup or as needed|
|Oil||–||for making cheela|
- Take besan and all ingredients except water and oil and mix well.
- Add some water and mix well. If the batter is thick add some more water and mix well. Mix well without forming lumps.
- Heat a dosa tawa and add little oil and spread well.
- Take a ladle full of batter and pour in the center of the tawa and gently with the back of the ladle spread well.
- Add a teaspoon of oil and cook the cheela.
- Flip the cheela and cook the other side also.
- Remove from the stove and serve hot with chutney of your choice.