Paruppu podi is one of the traditional powder made with toor dhal which can be mixed with hot rice along with some ghee or gingelly oil. My mother used to make paruppu podi and keep in home. It is a simple dish which tastes awesome. It can be kept for six months and used whenever needed. This powder comes handy when we feel tired to cook. Just mix thee powder with hot rice with ghee and have it with pappad or appalam.
I have already posted another variation of paruppu podi with garlic.
|Toor Dhal||–||1 cup|
|Black Pepper||–||1 tbsp.|
|Red Chillies||–||8 to 10|
|Salt||–||1 tsp. or as needed|
|Gingelly Oil||–||1 tsp.|
- Heat oil in a pan and roast toor dhal, black pepper, red chillies and asafoetida till the dhal turns golden brown in colour.
- At the end add salt and fry for a minute.
- Let them cool down for some time.
- Now grind these dhal mixture to a fine powder in a mixer and let it cool.
- Store in an airtight container and use whenever needed.
- Take required amout of hot rice and add a teaspoon of gingelly oil or ghee and then add the required amount of powder and mix well. Have this with pappad or appalam.