Idly podi or chilli powder made for idly is best accompaniment for idlies. This is always present in South Indian Kitchen. This powder is made with channa dhal, ured dhal, red chillies and salt. Idly podi is best served by mixing gingelly oil. When we travel for long distance, we can also make podi idly by just rolling the idlies in the idli podi mixed with oil. It will taste well if you take like this when travelling. My mother used to make like this when we travel.
|Ured Dhal||–||1 cup|
|Channa Dhal||–||1 cup|
|Red Chilllies||–||30 numbers or more if you want more spice|
|Salt||–||1 tsp. or as needed|
|Gingelly Oil||–||1 tsp.|
- In a pan heat oil and add all the ingredients except salt and fry in medium flame till the dhals turn golden in colour and you get a nice aroma.
- Switch off the stove and let them cool down.
- Now you can grind them in a mixer little by little by adding salt to a smooth powder.
- Transfer the idly podi in to a container and open and keep for some time till the powder cools down.
- Close with a lid and use whenever needed.
- For serving with idly or dosa, just mix some powder with some gingelly oil.