Horse gram has lots of health benefits. Horse gram when taken as rasam or soup relieves the congestion due to cold and cough and makes the nasal tracts open up by allowing the mucus membranes to soften up and melt. Having a handful of horse gram soaked in water in early morning on empty stomach helps to stimulate the digestive tract and removes any digestion issues. As horse gram is rich in fiber it is good for people with diabetes and it helps bring down insulin resistance in the body.
Today I thought of sharing kollu podi recipe which can be stored in air tight container and used whenever needed.
|Horse Gram / Kollu||–||1 cup|
|Red Chillies||–||5 or 6|
|Salt||–||1 tsp. or as needed|
|Curry Leaves||–||a handful|
- Heat oil in a pan and roast all the given ingredients except salt in low flame till the horse gram turns golden brown or upto 5 minutes and switch off the stove.
- Transfer to a plate and let it cool down.
- Now you can take this in a mixie along with salt and grind to a fine powder.
- Store in an airtight container and use whenever needed.
- Horse gram tends to increase heat in the body. If you feel too much heat, you must balance it by eating sprouted green gram, which cools the system.