Puli pongal is a traditional Breakfast prepared in Tamilnadu. Pongal means mashed up rice. This is a pongal made with tamarind and broken rice with some seasonings. This is a tangy and tasty dish which can be prepared very easily. Puli pongal tastes best with coconut chutney or daangar pachadi.
|Broken Rice||–||1 cup|
|Tamarind||–||small lemon sized|
|Gingelly Oil or Sesame Oil||–||3 tbsp.|
|Mustard Seeds||–||½ tsp.|
|Ured Dhal||–||½ tsp.|
|Channa Dhal||–||½ tsp.|
|Turmeric Powder||–||½ tsp.|
|Curry Leaves||–||a handful|
|Salt||–||1 tsp. or as needed|
- Soak tamarind in a cup of hot water for 10 minutes and extract juice and keep aside. If you want you can use tamarind paste.
- In a pressure cooker, heat gingelly oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add ured dhal, channa dhal, asafoetida and peanuts and roast foe some time.
- When it turns red add curry eaves and red chillies and saute for a minute.
- Now add the broken rice, tamarind juice and 1 and a half cup of water along with salt and turmeric powder.
- Close the pressure cooker with the lid and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- When cooled remove the lid and mix well.
- Serve hot with Coconut Chutney or Daangar Pachadi.
- If you don’t have broken rice, you can simply grind raw rice in a mixie to a coarse rava consistency. Run the mixie one or two times.