Masoor Dhal or red lentils is one of the healthiest lentils. Masoor dal is a good source of protein, essential amino acids, potassium, iron, fiber and vitamin B1. It also helps to lower cholesterol and control diabetes. A bowl of masoor dal can fulfil the nutritional and dietary requirements of an entire meal.
Masoor dhal is rich in dietary fibre and has low glycemic index and inhibits the rate at which food is absorbed in the small intestine by blood. Masoor dhal is also rich in antioxidants and the abundant proportions of nutrients present tend to boost the immune system, thus effectively acting as an anti-ageing food.
This is a simple Masoor Dhal recipe which is easy to make.
|Masoor Dhal||–||1 cup|
|Onion||–||1 chopped finely|
|Tomatoes||–||2 chopped finely|
|Cumin Seeds||–||1 tsp.|
|Ginger Garlic Paste||–||1 tbsp.|
|Salt||–||1 tsp. or as needed|
|Chilly Powder||–||½ tsp.|
|Turmeric Powder||–||¼ tsp.|
|Oil or Ghee||–||1 tbsp.|
- Heat oil in a pressure pan and add cumin seeds and let it change its colour.
- Now add chopped green chillies, onion and ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell goes.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes become soft.
- Now add masoor dhal and 2 cups of water along with salt, chilli powder and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 3 or 4 whistles.
- When the pressure is released, remove the lid and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.