We always have stock of puffed rice at home. We generally eat as it is or make snacks out of it by frying with some spices. But when we went to my son’s friend house, there they gave this upma. My son like it a lot. So I asked his friend’s mother the recipe and got it. From then on we regularly make this upma at home. We can also have this at snack time.
|Puffed Rice / Pori||–||5 cups|
|Onion||–||1 (finely chopped)|
|Green Chillies||–||2 (finely chopped)|
|Turmeric Powder||–||¼ tsp.|
|Carrot||–||1 (finely chopped)|
|Lemon Juice||–||From 1 big lemon|
|Mustard Seeds||–||1 tsp.|
|Roasted Peanuts||–||¼ cup|
|Ured dhal||–||1 tsp.|
|Curry Leaves||–||A handful|
|Chopped Coriander Leaves||–||A handful|
- Grind the roasted peanuts in a mixture to a rough powder.
- In a pan heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add the ured dhal and curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Now add the green chillies and onion and fry till they become transparent.
- Now add the chopped carrots and green peas and fry for 3 minutes in low flame.
- In the meantime, wash the puffed rice with water and squeeze the water and separate the grains immediately.
- Now you can add puffed rice, turmeric powder, salt and ground peanuts and mix well.
- Close with a lid and cook in low flame for 3 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.