Thenga Chammanthi is a traditional recipe which is made in Kerala. In Tamilnadu this is called as thengai thogayal. My mother used to make this and this goes well with rice, idly, dosa or kanji (porridge). We can also have this with curd rice.
Making this thenga chammanthi is very simple. We have to dry roast all the ingredients and grind in a mixer with salt to a coarse paste.
|Grated Coconut||–||1 cup|
|Dry Red Chillies||–||3 or 4|
|Salt||–||1 tsp. or as needed|
|Tamarind||–||small lemon sized|
|Chopped Ginger||–||½ tsp.|
|Small Onions / Shallots||–||7 or 8 (peeled)|
|Curry Leaves||–||a handful|
|Coconut Oil||–||1 tsp.|
- Heat oil in a pan and add asafoetida and fry for a second.
- Now add small onions, ginger, curry leaves and dry red chillies for 2 minutes in low flame.
- Now add the grated coconut and fry for 3 minutes. Do not brown it.
- Add tamarind and salt at the end and switch off the stove.
- Let the mixture cool down.
- When the mixture gets cooled down grind it in a mixie by adding very little water.
- This is a very good accompaniment for rice, idly or dosa.