Pachadi is a traditional dish prepared in Tamilnadu and Kerala. Ash Gourd Pachadi is a traditional Kerala recipe which can be easily made. It is a type of salad prepared and is very simple to make. In this pachadi we use cooked ash gourd with coconut paste and yogurt.
This pachadi is one of the side dishes of traditional Kerala Sadhya and it is prepared during Onam.
|Ash Gourd / Winter Melon / Vellai Poosanikkai||–||3 cups (peeled and diced into cubes)|
|Green Chillies||–||2 (chopped finely)|
|Yogurt / Curd||–||1 ½ cups|
|Grated Coconut||–||1 cup|
|Ginger||–||2 inch piece|
|Small Onion / Chinna Vengayam||–||2 (peeled and chopped)|
|Mustard Seeds||–||½ tsp.|
|Coconut Oil||–||1 tbsp.|
|Mustard Seeds||–||1 tsp.|
|Small Onions||–||3 (chopped finely)|
|Curry Leaves||–||a handful|
- Take the chopped ash gourd, chopped green chillies with quarter cup of water and salt in a pan and cook till the ash gourd cooks well. Switch off the stove and let it cool down.
- Grind the ingredients given for grinding to a smooth paste.
- Whisk the yogurt well and add the ground paste in this and mix well.
- Now add this to the cooked ash gourd and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add the chopped onions, curry leaves and red chillies and fry till they become brown in colour.
- Pour this over the pachadi and mix well.
- You can serve this pachadi with roits or rice.