Yesterday I was thinking what to keep for my son’s lunch box. My son is a choosy eater and it is tough to satisfy him. As I was thinking I got an idea of making Rajma Masala. Rajma masala is a Punjabi dish. Rajma masala is prepared with soaked kidney beans which is cooked with onions, tomatoes and special spices.
Rajma is one of the richest source of plant protein which helps to build muscle mass. The fiber content of the beans boosts digestive health. Kidney beans contain other essential nutrients like iron, copper, folate, and manganese, which maintain several vital bodily functions. It is also a healthy option for diabetics because of its low glycemic index, which keeps body’s sugar content balanced.
Now let us see how to make rajma masala at home.
|Rajma or Kidney Beans||–||1 cup|
|Water||–||3 to 4 cups for soaking|
|Onion||–||1 big (chopped finely)|
|Tomatoes||–||3 (finely chopped)|
|Garlic Cloves||–||3 to 4|
|Ginger||–||1 inch piece|
|Dhania or Coriander Powder||–||1 tsp.|
|Red Chilli Powder||–||½ tsp.|
|Turmeric Powder||–||¼ tsp.|
|Garam Masala Powder||–||½ tsp.|
|Crushed Kasuri Methi (dry fenugreek leaves)||–||1 tsp.|
|Coriander Leaves||–||a handful|
|Cumin Seeds||–||½ tsp.|
|Oil or Butter or Ghee||–||1 tbsp.|
|Fresh Cream||–||2 tbsp.|
|Salt||–||as needed or 1 tsp.|
- Wash and soak rajma in enough water for 8 hours. If you are making it in the morning soak in the evening.
- In a pressure cooker cook the rajma for 4 or 5 whistles. Rajma takes little longer to cook.
- When the pressure subsides check whether the rajma is cooked by pressing the beans with hands.
- If the rajma is not cooked well, pressure cook again.
- In the meantime take the ginger, garlic and green chillies and make a coarse paste and keep aside.
- Now in another broad pan, heat oil or ghee or butter and add cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the chopped onions and fry till it becomes transparent.
- We can now add the ginger, garlic, green chilli paste and fry for 10 seconds or till the raw smell goes.
- Add the tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes becomes soft and mushy.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala and fry till the oil starts to leave on the sides of the pan.
- Now add the cooked rajma along with the water. If the water is more remove some and keep aside.
- When the mixture boils, add salt and keep in simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or till the masala gets thicker.
- Now add the crushed kasuri methi and mix well and switch off the stove.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.