In winter season this Sarson Ka Saag is made and served with maize roti. In this mustard leaves, spinach and bathua leaves (Paruppukeerai) is cooked together to a tasty dish with ginger, garlic and tomato and made into a puree.
I have already posted the recipe of Maize flour Roti. I learnt this from one of my North Indian friend.
|Mustard Leaves||–||1 bunch|
|Spinach or Palak Leaves||–||½ bunch|
|Bathua Leaves or Paruppu keerai||–||½ bunch|
|Tomato||–||1 chopped finely|
|Green Chillies||–||1 cut lengthwise|
|Ginger||–||1 inch piece|
|Maize Flour||–||1 tbsp.|
|Onion||–||1 cut lengthwise|
|Oil or Ghee||–||2 tsps.|
- Wash mustard leaves, spinach and bathua leaves well 2 or 3 times and then chop finely.
- In a pressure cooker take all the leaves along with tomato, ginger, garlic, green chilli and salt and add half cup water and pressure cook till you get 1 whistle.
- When the greens gets cooled down, grind to a smooth paste.
- In the same pressure pan, cook the pureed mixture in low flame for about 10 minutes.
- In another pan, add ghee and add sliced onion and green chilli and saute till onions turn golden brown and temper on top of the saag.
- Serve hot with Maize Roti.