Moong Dhal Halwa is a halwa which can be made very easily. Usually the halwa is made with sugar. But I have used jaggery as it has lots of health benefis. This is a rich desert of North India in which we use split moong dhal, jaggery or sugar, milk and ghee. This halwa is usually prepared during winter season as it keeps the body warm. Try this halwa for a change in this pongal.
I have made this dish by using jaggery. If you want, you can add sugar and make this dish.
|Moong Dhal Split / Pasi Paruppu||–||½ cup|
|Jaggery||–||½ cup (powdered)|
|Cashew Nuts and raisins||–||as needed|
- Dry roast moong dhal in a pan and soak the dhal in water for 2 hours.
- Add one and a half cup of water and pressure cook the dhal for 3 whistles.
- Now open the cooker and mash the dhal well.
- In a pan heat the jaggery with little water.
- When the jaggery dissolves, strain the syrup to remove any impurities and add this to the cooked dhal.
- Heat in low flame till the jaggery mixes well with the cooked dhal.
- Add milk and cook tillt he halwa thickens.
- Now add the ghee and mix well till halwa leaves the side of the pan.
- In small pan heat a teaspoon of ghee and roast the cashew nuts and raisins and add this to the halwa and mix well.