Parboiled rice murukku or puzhungal arisi murukku is a traditional murukku prepared in our home. For making this murukku we have to soak the boiled rice and then grind to a thick batter. Then we have to make the murukku. This murukku is crispy and tasty and making this murukku is little time consuming. But it is worth making this murukku.
|Parboiled rice or pulungal arisi||–||2 cups|
|Roasted gram / pottukadalai||1 cup|
|Ured dal||2 tbsps|
|Salt||1 tsp. or as needed|
|Oil||For deep frying the murukkus|
- Soak parboiled rice, red chillies and ured dhal together for 2 hours. Do not soak more than 2 hours.
- Grind the soaked rice and ured dhal along with red chillies to a thick and smooth batter. Do not add more water. Add very little water. This will take about 45 minutes. At the end add salt and mix well.
- In the meantime, dry roast the roasted gram in a pan and grind to a fine powder and keep aside.
- Now take the ground batter in a vessel and add the powdered flour and ghee and mix well so that it is like the murukku dough.
- Heat oil for deep frying the murukku.
- Now take the murukku press and press small small murukkus and fry them on both sides. Ensure that the oil is hot nough before frying by putting a very small piece of batter in oil. If it comes up immediately, the oil is hot enough.
- Remove the murukku and keep in a perforated vessel.
- Now you can store them in an airtight container when the murrukus becomes cold.
- Make this murukku immediately after grinding. Otherwise the murukku will consume more oil.
- Do not soak the rice more than 2 hours.
- If you want, you can add cumin seeds while making murukku.
- If the dough is too dry sprinkle little water.
- If the batter is watery add little rice flour and mix well.