We can easily prepare Kerala style vegetable stew at home and it is made with simple ingredients. We can add vegetables like potatoes, carrots, beans, peas, etc. in the stew. Cooking the stew in coconut milk gives a special taste to the dish. If you cannot find time to prepare coconut milk at home, you can buy coconut milk and use.
|Potatoes||–||2 (peeled and chopped into cubes)|
|Carrots||–||2 (chopped into 1 inch pieces)|
|Onion||–||2 (cut lenghthwise)|
|Ginger||–||2 tsp. (finely chopped)|
|Thick coconut Milk||–||3 cups|
|Salt||–||1 tsp. or ass needed|
|Green chillies||–||4 (cut lengthwise)|
|Coconut oil||–||1 tbsp.|
|Curry leaves||–||a handful|
- Take half cup of the coconut milk and dilute with half cup of water.
- In a pan put the onions, green chillies, curry leaves, ginger, chopped potatoes, carrots, peas and salt and the diluted coconut milk and boil till it is cooked well.
- When it thickens, add the remaining thick coconut milk and simmer for 2 minutes and switch off the stove.
- Pour the coconut oil on top and mix well.
- Authentic Kerala style Vegetable Ishtu is ready to be served.
- You can serve this stew with Aappam or even rice.