One month before, one of my friends in my apartment gave a new type of greens which I haven’t seen or used before. When I asked her, she told it is called Nela Basale and taught me how to cook it. Nela Basale is a type of greens which grow in the ground and is a local greens. When I searched about it in the internet I found out that it has lots of health benefits. It is also called as Malabar Spinach. It is very high in vitamin A, B1 and C and it is one of the plant which is rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids. It also an excellent source of magnesium, calcium, potassium and iron.
Let us see how to cook nela basale.
|Nela Basale||–||1 bunch|
|Mustard Seeds||–||½ tsp.|
|Cumin Seeds||–||½ tsp.|
|Grated Coconut||–||1 tbsp.|
|Cumin Powder||–||½ tsp.|
|Turmeric Powder||–||¼ tsp.|
|Salt||–||½ tsp. or as needed|
- Wash and clean nela basale and chop and keep aside.
- Chop onions to fine pieces.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard splutters, add thee cumin seeds and broken red chillies and sauté for a minute.
- Now add the chopped onions and fry till it becomes transparent.
- Now add the chopped basale leaves, turmeric powder, cumin powder and salt and cook in medium flame. No need to add water and the leaves get cooked in its own water.
- When it shrinks and completely cooked switch off the stove and add grated coconut and mix well.
- Nela Basale curry is ready and you can serve with rice.
You can see other Greens recipes here.