Poondu kuzhambu is one of the kuzhambu I make regularly at home. Adding garlic in the food reduces cholesterol in our body. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and improves insulin sensitivity and reduces the the risk of type-2 diabetes. Here is he recipe which I use to make poondu kuzhambu at home.
|Tamarind||–||A small lemon sized|
|Turmeric Powder||–||¼ tsp.|
|Sambar Powder||–||1 tsp.|
|Gingelly Oil||–||3 tsp.|
|Mustard Seeds||–||1 tsp.|
|Ured Dhal||–||½ tsp.|
|Channa Dhal||–||½ tsp.|
|Curry Leaves||–||A handful|
|Salt||–||1 tsp. or as needed|
- Soak tamarind in warm water and take tamarind juice and keep aside.
- Peel and remove the skin of small onions and garlic and keep aside.
- Chop the tomatoes finely and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add ured dhal and channa dhal and fry for a minute.
- Now add the peeled small onions and garlic and fry till raw smell goes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till it becomes soft.
- Now add the tamarind juice, 1 cup of water, turmeric powder, salt and sambar powder and boil for 5 minutes.
- Now keep in medium flame and cook till the kuzhambu is thick.
- Garnish with curry leaves and serve hot with hot rice.