When we went to a restaurant here in Bangalore, I saw an interesting dhal which was very tasty. I thought of trying that at home and tried making that myself by asking my friends. Panchmel Dhal is a simple dhal made using five different dhals which makes it very nutritious and protein rich. This is a Rajasthani dish which uses basic ingredients which can be made very easily.
|Channa Dhal||–||¼ cup|
|Whole Moong or Green Grams||–||¼ cup|
|Ured Dhal||–||¼ cup|
|Toor Dhal||–||¼ cup|
|Masoor Dhal||–||¼ cup|
|Turmeric Powder||–||½ tsp.|
|Salt||–||1 tsp. or as needed|
|Tomatoes||–||2 (chopped finely)|
|Ginger||–||1 inch piece|
|Cumin Seeds||–||½ tsp.|
|Cumin Powder||–||1 tsp.|
|Red Chilli Powder||–||½ tsp.|
|Dhania Powder||–||1 tsp.|
|Garam Masala||–||½ tsp.|
|Coriander Leaves||–||a handful|
- Clean and soak all the dhals together for 2 hours.
- Cook them in a pressure cooker with turmeric powder and 3 cups of water.
- In the meantime grind the ginger and green chillies into aa paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add asafoetida, cumin seeds, cloves and red chillies.
- When the cumin seeds changes colour, add ginger-green chilli paste and sauté for a minute.
- Now add cumin powder, dhania powder and red chilli powder.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté till oil separates and the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Now add the cooked dhalsand salt. If needed add some water.
- Cook for ten minutes in medium flame or till the dhals become thick by stirring in between.
- Add garam masala powder at the end and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- You can have this with chapathis or hot steamed rice.