Chakka erissery is a Kerala dish in which we use raw jackfruit. Coconut is ground with some spices and added to raw jackfruit to make this curry. Raw jackfruit is very good for diabetics as it has low glycemic index. It is a rich source of vitamins A, C, riboflavin, niacin, thiamine, and folate. It also contains important minerals like magnesium, calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorous, copper, zinc, manganese, and selenium.
|Raw Jackfruit / Chakka||–||½ kg.|
|Turmeric Powder||–||¼ tsp.|
|Chilli Powder||–||½ tsp.|
|Salt||–||1 ½ tsp. or as needed|
|Grated Coconut||–||½ cup|
|Cumin Seeds||–||½ tsp.|
|Coconut Oil||–||1 tsp.|
|Mustard Seeds||–||1 tsp.|
|Curry Leaves||–||a handful|
- Grind the ingredients given for grinding into a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Remove the outer skin of jackfruit and cut them into small cubes.
- Cook the jackfruit with enough water, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt in a pressure cooker.
- After the pressure is released from the cooker, you can add the ground coconut paste and cook in medium flame till it thickens.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan, and add mustard seeds,curry leaves and red chillies and pour over this curry and mix well.
- Tasty and healthy chakka erissery is ready to be served.
- You can also try making Idichakka Thoran using raw jackfruit.