Tapioca is very healthy option and is very popular in Kerala. Tapioca helps in healthy weight gain, increases the circulation and red blood cell count, protects against birth defects, improves digestion, lowers cholesterol levels, prevents diabetes, improves metabolic activities and has many more properties. Mashed tapioca is a very tasty dish prepared by cooking the tapioca and mashing it and adding ground coconut mixture. The ground coconut mixture gives the tapioca a very good taste.
|Grated Coconut||–||1 cup|
|Cumin Seeds||–||½ tsp.|
|Green Chillies||–||3 or 4|
|Curry Leaves||–||a handful|
|Mustard Seeds||–||1 tsp.|
|Turmeric Powder||–||¼ tsp.|
- Peel the outer layer of the tapioca and remove thick pink skin from the root.
- Wash the tapioca in running water and cut the tapioca into 1 inch pieces.
- In a pressure cooker, cook the tapioca for 3 whistles.
- In the meantime, take the grated coconut, cumin seeds, peeled small onions, turmeric powder, salt and green chillies in a mixer and grind it to a coarse powder and keep aside.
- Now remove the tapioca from the pressure cooker and drain out the water and mash well.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add broken red chillies and curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Now add the mashed tapioca and the ground coconut mixture and mix well.
- Mashed tapioca is ready to be served.
- Serve hot with spicy chutney of your choice.