Idlies tastes best with Idly milagai podi. There are lots of variations in making idly podi. My mother used to make Ellu milagai podi for idlies and dosas. With the nutty flavor, this tastes best with idlies and dosas.
Sesame seeds have lots of health benefits. Sesame seeds are an excellent source of copper and a very good source of manganese and also a good source of calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, vitamin B1, zinc, molybdenum, selenium, and dietary fiber. They include the ability to prevent diabetes, lower blood pressure, prevent a wide variety of cancers, build strong bones, protect against radiation, increase heart health, help to cure sleep disorders, improve digestion, reduce inflammation, boost respiratory health, strengthen your oral health, aid in healthy growth, improve circulation, detoxify the body, and eliminate depression.
|Long Red Chillies||–||1 cup or 30|
|Channa Dhal||–||1 cup|
|Ured Dhal||–||1 cup|
|Black Sesame Seeds or Karuppu Ellu||–||1 cup|
|Salt||–||as needed or 1 tsp.|
|Gingelly oil||–||1 tsp.|
- Heat a pan with a teaspoon of gingelly oil.
- Fry all the ingredients except sesame seeds till golden brown in low flame. Do not burn them.
- Remove them and keep them in a plate to cool.
- Now add the sesame seeds in the same pan for a minute in low flame and switch off the pan.
- When cooled, first grind the ingredients other than sesame seeds to a fine powder.
- Now add sesame seeds and salt and grind to a smooth powder.
- Your healthy and tasty sesame seeds milagai podi is ready to serve.
- Enjoy with Idly or Dosa.