Keerai Molagootal is an authentic Palakkad dish. With the slight spice the dish is enjoyed by kids as well as elders. Keerai Molagootal can be prepared with any of the greens like siru keerai, aria keerai, palak keerai, paruppu keerai and thandu keerai.
|Any Keerai or Spinach||–||a medium bunch|
|Toor Dhal||–||½ cup|
|Ured Dhal||–||2 tbsp.|
|Cumin Seeds||–||1 tsp.|
|Grated Coconut||–||½ cup|
|Mustard Seeds||–||½ tsp.|
- Wash and clean the spinach and boil the spinach in 1 cup of water in medium flame for 10 minutes and let it cool.
- Grind to a coarse paste and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat 1 teaspoon of oil and add ured dhal, cumin seeds and pepper and sauté I medium flame until ured dhal is nicely brown.
- At last add the grated coconut and fry for a minute and switch off the flame.
- When cooled grind it to a smooth paste by adding little water and keep aside.
- Take a deep pan and add oil for seasoning.
- When it is hot, add the mustard seeds and asafetida and when the mustard splutters add the cooked toor dhal, spinach paste and the ground mixture and add salt.
- Mix well and cook in medium flame for 4 minutes and remove from the flame.
- Tasty molagoottal is ready to be served.