Bitter gourd is very healthy for us and we prepare variety of dishes using bitter gourd. One such dish is bitter gourd pickle. Making bitter gourd pickle is very simple and it has a shelf life of 10 days.
|Bitter Gourd||–||2 medium|
|Chilly Powder||–||3 or 4 tsps. (according to your levels)|
|Curry Leaves||–||1 handful|
|Dhania Powder||–||2 tsps.|
|Cumin Powder||–||1 tsp.|
|Jaggery||–||1 tbsp. (optional)|
|Mustard Seeds||–||1 tsp.|
|Asafoetida Powder||–||a pinch|
|Turmeric Powder||–||¼ tsp.|
- Soak tamarind in warm water and take out tamarind juice and keep aside.
- Wash bitter gourd and wipe clean.
- Now cut the bitter gourd into fine pieces and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Now add asafoetida powder and curry leaves and fry for a second.
- Add the chopped bitter gourd pieces and fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder, dhania powder and cumin powder and mix well.
- Fry till the bitter gourd cooks well in medium flame. It takes about 10 minutes for this.
- Now add the tamarind water and grated jaggery and boil.
- When it starts boiling, keep in simmer and cook till all the water evaporates.
- Your bitter gourd pickle is ready to be served. Store in an airtight container.