Kovaikkai is a very healthy vegetable and is good for diabetic people. It is a creep which can grow in fields and also in backyards. Kovaikkai consists of 1.4 mg of Iron which is 17.50% of the daily recommended value. Thiamine found in Ivy gourd also plays an important role in the manufacture of red blood cells, which are used for constant energy. I have already posted Kovaikkai curry with masala powder recipe also.
|Kovaikkai / Ivy Gourd||–||¼ Kg.|
|Chilly Powder||–||1 tsp. or as needed|
|Turmeric Powder||–||¼ tsp.|
|Salt||–||½ tsp. or as needed|
|Mustard Seeds||–||1 tsp.|
|Ured Dhal||–||1 tsp.|
- Wash kovaikkai well and slice into thin round pieces.
- Chop the onion into fine pieces and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add the ured dhal and fry for half a minute.
- Now add finely chopped onion and fry till it becomes transparent.
- Now add the sliced kovaikkai, chilly powder, turmeric powder, salt and water and cook till the curry thickens.
- Now keep in simmer and fry in low flame till the kovaikkai is fried well.
- Switch off the stove and serve hot with rice.