Kalyana Rasam is a type of rasam made without tamarind. This rasam is made during marriages. With the flavours of freshly ground spices and tomatoes, this rasam is a treat. Once you make this rasam, you will always make this rasam regularly.
|Toor Dhal||–||¼ cup|
|Turmeric Powder||–||¼ tsp.|
|Mustard Seeds||–||1 tsp.|
|Coriander leaves||–||a handful|
|Curry Leaves||–||a handful|
|Toor Dhal||–||1 tbsp.|
|Black Pepper||–||1 tsp.|
|Cumin Seeds||–||½ tsp.|
- In a pan heat little ghee and add toor dhal, black pepper and red chillies till it changes colour and finally add cumin seeds and swtich off the stove. Add cumin seeds at the end only otherwise it will turn bitter.
- Grind to a fine powder and keep aside.
- Cook the toor dhal and keep aside.
- Grind to a fine paste by adding a little water and keep aside.
- Grind the tomatoes into a puree and keep aside.
- In a thick bottomed vessel, add the tomato paste, ground masala, turmeric powder, asafetida, salt and 2 cups of water and boil.
- Boil in low flame for 10 minutes.
- Now add the cooked toor dhal to this and cook till froth comes and switch off the flame.
- Garnish with curry and coriander leaves.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter add this to the cooked rasam.
- Tasty and aromatic Kalyana Rasam is ready to be served with hot rice or you can have this as a soup.