Foxtail Millet or thinai arisi is a very healthy and nutricious option. It helps to control blood sugar levels when consumed on regular basis. It helps to lower triglyceride levels, LDL/VLDL Cholestrol and increase in HDL Cholestrol. Thinai is rich in protiens, and low in fat. Thinai has good amount of fiber content, calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium and carbohydrates. It does not have sugar in any form.
Thinai is offered to Lord Muruga with honey and used to be called as Thenum Thinai Mavum.
|Foxtail Millet or Thinai||–||1 Cup|
|Toor Dhal, Channa Dhal and Ured Dhal||–||1 Cup together|
|Red Chillies||–||4 or 5|
|Salt||–||As needed or 1 tsp.|
|Onions||–||2 (grated finely)|
- Soak foxtail millet and all toor dhal, channa dhal and ured dhal together for 3 hours.
- In a grinder grind them to a coarse rava consistency along with red chillies. The consistency of the batter should neither be thick nor thin.
- At the end add salt and grind for a minute.
- Now take the batter out and add grated onions and mix well.
- Heat a dosa pan, and take a ladle full of batter and pour like dosa by spreading in a circular motion.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of oil around the adai and a teaspoon of oil in the middle.
- Once it is cooked, the corners will start coming up. Turn it over to the other side and cook well till it becomes golden brown.
- Serve hot with chutney of your choice.