As yesterday was sunday, I thought of making a very good side dish for chapathis in the evening. As I was going through my kitchen, I saw lobia in a box. Then I tought of making something out of lobia. Then I ended up doing Lobia Rassedar. The gravy was very rich and tasty.
From its magical cholesterol-lowering properties to being diabetic friendly as well as promoting weight loss, lobia is a super bean with a lots of health benefits. The different varieties of lobia are abundant with anti-oxidant compounds which keep aging and cancer at bay. Lobia also contains a significant amount of flavonoids that protect against cardiovascular problems. Additionally, it also eases problems associated with urination.
|Black eyed peas or Lobia||–||1½ cups|
|Onions||–||2 (chopped finely)|
|Tomatoes||–||2 (chopped finely)|
|Cumin Seeds||–||1 tsp.|
|Fenugreek Seeds||–||½ tsp.|
|Cinnamon Stick||–||1 inch piece|
|Turmeric Powder||–||½ tsp.|
|Red Chilli Powder||–||1 tsp.|
|Coriander Leaves||–||a handful|
- Soak the lobia in water for 8 hours.
- Pressure cook the lobia until soft and set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil, and add the fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and the dried red chillies.
- Fry the spices in the oil for a minute or so, and then transfer into a mixie and grind along with the chopped ginger and garlic into a coarse paste.
- Now, heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a pan and add the cinnamon stick.
- Fry for a minute and add the onions and fry on medium flame until the onions are medium brown.
- When the onions are brown, add the tomato, ground paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt and mix well.
- Cover and cook till well combined and oil begins to ooze out from the sides.
- Stir in between to prevent the paste from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Now add the lobia with the cooked water into the pan.
- Cover and bring to boil, then simmer for at least ten to fifteen minutes till the gravy thickens.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rotis or