I have seen instant rava upma mixes in the store and used to think that how they make this and keep. I also wanted to make this and keep at home so that it will be handy when we have urgent work. Yesterday I tried and made this instant rava mix which can be used for making both rava upma and rava idly. You can just microwave this or cook in boiling water. you can send this with those who are travelling so that they can make this whenever they want. No need to buy those costly instant mixes while you can make this at home.
|Rava||– 3 cups|
|Oil or ghee||– 3 tbsp.|
|Mustard seeds||– 1 tsp.|
|Ured dhal||– 2 tsps.|
|Channa dhal||– 2 tsps.|
|Green chillies||– 6 or 7 (finely chopped)|
|Grated ginger||– 2 tsps. (Optional)|
|Curry leaves||– a handful|
|Cashew nuts||– 1 tbsp. (Optional)|
|Salt||– as needed or 3 tsps.|
- In a pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil or ghee and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add the dhals and cashew nuts and fry well in medium flame.
- Now add chopped green chillies, curry leaves and grated ginger and fry well.
- Remove this and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining oil or ghee and roast the rava to golden brown.
- Let it cool down.
- Now mix both the roasted rava and the seasonings together with salt.
- Mix well and store in an airtight container in refregirator.
For Making Rava Upma:
- Take 2 ¼ cups of water and boil and add 1 cup of this ready mix and keep in medium flame and close with a lid.
- After 3 minutes you can take out the lid and mix well. Your instant upma is ready.
- If you want you can add chooped vegetables or frozen vegetables in water and make upma.
For Making Rava Idly:
- Take 1 cup of sour curd and add 1 cup of this mix and mix well. If you want you can add finely cut onions, carrots and grated coconut in this and mix well.
- Keep in idly plates and steam the idlies and serve.
Step by step Pictures: