Raw banana is one of my favourite vegetable and is mostly present in my home. We can make lots of dishes using raw banana. But Vazhaikkai podimas is my favourite one. Making podimas is very simple. It is given for young children since it is cooked and crumbled and used in making podimas. We can also make potato podimas.
|Vazhakkai / Raw Banana||– 2 medium|
|Green Chillies||– 1 or 2|
|Fresh grated Coconut||– ¼ cup|
|Ginger||– a small piece|
|Turmeric Powder||– ¼ tsp.|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Mustard Seeds||– ½ tsp.|
|Ured Dhal||– 1 tsp.|
|Curry Leaves||– a handful|
|Oil||– 1 tbsp.|
- Cut the raw bananas into 2 big pieces with the skin intact.
- In a vessel add enough water and add the banana pieces and turmeric powder and pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistle.
- Do not overcook then the whole podimas will become mushy. Cook until the peel comes of easily.
- Cool and remove the skin and crush the bananas nicely with your hands.
- Heat a Kadai and add oil.
- When the oil gets heated up add mustard seeds once it starts spluttering add urad dal. Fry till it starts turning golden.
- Now add curry leaves and the crushed plantains.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Let this fry on low heat for 6 to 7 minutes. Stir once in a while in between.
- Grind the coconut, green chilly and ginger into a coarse powder without adding water.
- Add this to the banana and mix well. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot with a plain rice as a side dish. It tastes well with rasam rice.