The banana flower is the flower of banana plant. It is called as Vazhaipoo in Tamil. It is large and maroon colored cone shaped flower with cream colored florets layered inside. It has many medicinal properties. Banana flowers are rich vitamins like C and E, flavonoids, protein, minerals like potassium, calcium, iron, copper, phosphorous, magnesium and dietary fiber. It is free from sodium. This flower has been used as a traditional medicine to treat bronchitis ,constipation ,menstrual cramps and ulcer problems. It boosts mood and reduces the anxiety because the banana flowers are having high levels of magnesium. It regulates the blood pressure.
|Banana Flower||– 1 medium sized|
|Channa dhal||– 1 cup|
|Dry Red Chilli||– 4|
|Onion||– 1 (finely chopped)|
|Garlic||– 4 pieces|
|Ginger||– a small piece|
|Curry Leaves||– a handful|
|Cumin Seeds||– ½ tsp.|
|Fennel Seeds or Sombu||– ½ tsp.|
|Asafoetida||– ¼ tsp.|
|Salt||– as needed or 1 tsp.|
- Clean the banana flower. Finely chop it and keep it ready.
- Soak the bengal gram for 2 hours.
- Drain the water completely and grind it to a coarse paste along with ginger, garlic, red chillies, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, asafoetida and salt.
- After it is well mixed and coarsely ground, take it into the vessel and add the chopped banana flowers, onions and curry leaves and mix well.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Make small round out of the vada mixture and flatten it in your hands.
- Deep fry in hot oil till golden brown.
- Remove excess oil by placing them in a tissue paper.
- Your tasty and healthy Vazhaipoo vadai is ready to be served.
- You can serve it with the chutney of your choice or ketchup.